To award individuals within the membership who are exemplary representatives in art education through dedication to their students and the art education profession;
To show appreciation for individuals or organizations that have contributed their services in an exemplary way to the association and to the professional goals we share.
How are awardees decided upon?
Nominees are all asked to submit two letters of recommendation and their standardized VITAE form. All Nominee's letters, documents of support, photos, Vitae, and supporting documents are collected electronically and submitted to every committee member for balloting. All Committee members are asked to peruse the document collection of each individual who was nominated, and to make a selection in each category or division of award. Nominees and Awardees are then notified of the ballot results following the receipt of all committee decisions.
Outstanding Performance Awards:
Nominees must be current members in AAE in good standing for the last three consecutive years.
- Elementary Art Educator of the Year
- Middle School Art Educator of the Year
- Secondary Art Educator of the Year
- Higher Education Art Educator of the Year
- Student of the Year
- Service Within the Profession
- Dr. Barbara Teague Leadership Award
- Advocacy Award
• Demonstrated outstanding leadership within the field of teaching.
• Demonstrated leadership within AAE
• Contributed to the body of knowledge in the field of art education at the local, state or national level.
• Advanced the cause of art education through strong advocacy and leadership.
• Motivated and inspired others including students, colleagues, community members or members of the teaching profession.
Awards of Appreciation: These awards are presented to outstanding individuals and organizations, who work to support the goals of the field of art education and the profession. Membership is not required.
Consider principals, superintendents, boards of education, local and regional politicians, and supportive business persons for these awards.
Administrator of the Year
Retired Art Educator of the Year
Service Outside the Profession
- Demonstrated outstanding leadership within the field of teaching.
- Contributed outstanding leadership in support of art education.
- Contributed to the body of knowledge in the field of art education at the local or state level through service, research, publication, or exhibition.
- Advanced the cause of art education through strong advocacy and leadership.
- Motivated and inspired others including students, colleagues, community members or members of the teaching profession.